Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Review: Superman Returns

Superman Returns is a worthwhile addition to the corpus of superhero comic book-to-movie adaptations. It isn't quite as good as my friends and I expected it to be, considering the trailer and the fact that X-Men/X-2 director Bryan Singer directed it. Compared to other recent superhero movies, it lacked a philosophical/moral theme or point. The main themes were Superman's romance with Lois Lane and his battle with Lex Luther. The primary theme, the romance, was well done. Based on the idea that Lane has gained a fiance and a son during Superman's 5-year absence, the movie mantained a romantic tension between the main characters throughout the entire film. The second theme was a bit flat. There was no sense of a grand war of any sort between Luther and Superman, or the fate of the world hanging in the balance, though the plot called for both.

In spite of this shortcoming, I recommend the movie for anyone but those who hate superhero movies. I can't compare any of it to the "real" Superman story, as I am not familiar with any other versions. Some further notes: it's a fairly clean PG-13 with some violence. Be aware that it's a long, 2 1/2 hour view.

Arrive on time to see trailers for M. Knight Shyamalan's movie Lady in the Water, to be released July 21, and Spiderman III, which we have to wait for until May 4 of next year.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brutes In The Halls said...

Yeah, I don't think the prices should be so high unless the movies are good. It might be a poor economic model, but I like the idea anyway.

I look forward to Superman, though from your description I think I am going to dislike it. (On the other hand, I thought Batman had too much "meaning" and not enough quality filming, so who knows)

Jun 29, 2006, 2:44:00 PM  
Blogger Brutes In The Halls said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Jun 29, 2006, 2:45:00 PM  
Blogger Asparagus said...

Does anyone else ever feel that movie theaters are kind of like Pleasure Island? I agree with Gabe about pricing. There should at least be more competition out there to drive prices down from $10.

I wasn't going to see Superman , but since you recommend it, I'll try to catch a matinee.

Can't wait for Shyamalan's next--I didn't like The Village as much as Sixth Sense and Signs, but still a lot better than any of the other stuff.

Definitely going to see The Devil Wears Prada. I'll let you know how it is ;-)

Jun 30, 2006, 11:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home