Thursday, October 27, 2005

Bono interview

The current issue of Rolling Stone contains an excellent interview with Bono, the lead singer of the band U2. The third section of the interview discusses his Christianity, the nature of which has been a topic of debate among Christians and at Patrick Henry College. I don't think this interview will convince all conservative evangelicals that Bono is a Christian. Though this article and another recently published quote certainly seem to indicate that Bono is a Christian, I can't tell you for sure of his status. It doesn't matter to you or me, though, just him and God; all I can say is that he says some good things:

What is your religious belief today? What is your concept of God?

If I could put it simply, I would say that I believe there's a force of love and logic in the world, a force of love and logic behind the universe. And I believe in the poetic genius of a creator who would choose to express such unfathomable power as a child born in "straw poverty"; i.e., the story of Christ makes sense to me.

How does it make sense?

As an artist, I see the poetry of it. It's so brilliant. That this scale of creation, and the unfathomable universe, should describe itself in such vulnerability, as a child. That is mind-blowing to me. I guess that would make me a Christian. Although I don't use the label, because it is so very hard to live up to. I feel like I'm the worst example of it, so I just kinda keep my mouth shut.

His answer to the last question in the interview reflected a changed attitude toward conservative Christians similar to an attitude change I've been coming to in the past year.

read the article

5 Comments:

Blogger Nick D said...

So, you're a Christian but don't want to label yourself that...it sounds Buddhist but I would have to use labels to say that.

Oct 27, 2005, 11:14:00 PM  
Blogger Derby said...

There are two problems with the term "Christian". One is that it has been used by some terrible people and often has bad connotations that shouldn't go along with a "follower of Christ". The other is, as Bono noted, calling yourself a follower of Christ is quite arrogant. Saying that Christ saved you, as Bono said in the quote in the World article, is the antithesis of arrogance.

Oct 27, 2005, 11:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Follower of Christ" is not an arrogant term, but rather an ideal to be lived up to. But yeah, I think Bono's terminology is on. I read the article, and found his Christian profession quite convincing - don't know much about his personal life. In any case, if a little cussing and drinking damned you, then we'd all be goin' to Hell.

BTW, stop by my Xanga. :) I referenced you...

Oct 29, 2005, 6:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've never wanted to have a Christian label, not because it's hard to live up to, but because everyone uses it and thinks it means something else.

i want to be like JESUS!

Oct 31, 2005, 4:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey,
thanks for thinking of my family - they're fine, thankfully, and it doesn't seem as if the riots are affecting them at all.

Nov 9, 2005, 10:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home